You have no items in your shopping cart.
- Complete Protein Source
- Rich Source Of Vitamins & Minerals
- Ideal Supplement For Vegetarians
Spirulina Plantensis is an edible food supplement version of a microscopic algae organism with a blue-green hue. Each organism is made up of a single cell, and can be found in a variety of different watery environments including marine, tropical, and salt pan regions.
This plant is considered one of the earliest forms of life and goes back many millions of years. It can be consumed as a food, or as a food supplement. Humans have been using it for centuries because it has a wide variety of vitamins and nutrients present in it and can help people sustain their lives and general well being on a budget. Even though it is difficult to farm, because of its popularity it is making way for a new type of farming dedicated purely towards microorganisms since this alone is such a useful food source.
Due to the environment that this algae is usually found in, it is able to absorb both the rich amino acids and all of the vitamins present in the water, compacting them all in the form of a single celled organism which can then be consumed to reap those benefits of those vitamins later by putting them directly into the body.
As a bonus, Spirulina acts as a great source of Vitamin B12, essential fatty acids, Beta Carotene, and Chlorophyll. Some of these elements are only present in high amounts in the diets of meat eaters and other nutrients like Beta-Carotene and Chlorophyll are useful in that they help the body get rid of toxins and act as antioxidants which further promote a healthy immune system by getting rid of free radicals. Also, even though carrots are generally credited with being one of the richest sources of Beta-Carotene, as it turns out, the amount in Spirulina is ten times that which is in carrots.
Because of the amount of nutrients in it which are present in meat and which most people usually receive from meat in their own personal diets; Spirulina has been the number one choice in supplements for people with a vegetarian diet. It even has these nutrients in quantities that are sufficient enough to use it as a regular supplement (in other words, you need not eat thirty six spoonfuls of Spirulina to get the effect of one forkful of steak, they level out just about. It even has more protein in it then soybeans which are traditionally cited as the best source of protein when on a vegetarian diet.
Health Benefits Provided by Spirulina
Spirulina has such positive nutritional content that it is called the world’s richest whole food which can be found naturally. Not only that, but it is sometimes called “green food” as well due to the fact that it has such an enormous amount of healthy minerals in it and it also has such low calorie content (only coming in at 2.9 calories per gram). And if using this as a supplement for protein specifically this is less than 3/4 the amount of calories in protein per gram.
Due to the large amount of Iron in Spirulina, it helps to promote the creation of new red blood cells too. Not only does Spirulina contain high protein content within it, but it also has nutrients in it which increase the body’s ability to absorb protein. This means that it even makes any other protein being consumed by the person more effective than if they had just consumed the protein alone. In this way, Spirulina may even be a better source of protein than most meat. Spirulina contains a concentration of very essential amino acid as well. These are amino acids that the body cannot survive without, but that we cannot produce ourselves which means we have to get them through other dietary means. Spirulina is thus, the one stop shop for essential amino acids which help to repair the body when it is damaged in any way and keep it running regularly. Those who have a poor diet which is mostly made up of processed foods such as chips and microwaveable meals, as well as those people that identify as vegetarian or vegan should all consider taking this supplement to make up for the nutrients that their diet is lacking. Taking Spirulina has never resulted in toxic effects according to any reports.
Serving Size & Timing
It is suggested that Spirulina be taken in servings of 5 grams, to be consumed three times per day for a total of 15 grams. When purchased in smaller supplies, Spirulina only comes in packages of about 3-10 grams altogether. Buying it in bulk though will get you much more value for your money. It is suggested that there were some cultures in Africa (before the modern day, of course) that had dried cakes made out of purely Spirulina and consumed in excess of 250g (making up about half of what they ate per day) daily with no negative side effects.
Supplement FactsServing size: 9000 milligrams
Serving per container: *
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat: 5
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat < 1 g||<1%|
|Carbohydrate 1.8 g||<1%|
|Vitamin A (as Beta Carotine) 30750 IU||615%|
|Calcium 9 mg||<1%|
|Iron 11 mg||62%|
|Sodium 86 mg||4%|
** Based on 2,000 calorie diet
Sugar, Soy, dairy, yeast, gluten or additives
As a dietary supplement, take 9 grams (1 tbsp) daily, or as directed by a physician.
|US Standard Measuring Spoons|
INGREDIENTS & FURTHER INFORMATION
There are no fillers of any kind present in Spirulina.
Spirulina Side Effects
As long as suggested serving size is adhered to, negative side effects are unlikely to be experienced. However it is possible that minor side effects such as muscle pain, headache, and sweating may occur as a result of taking Spirulina. Some people may be allergic to this product and of course those with allergies should avoid consuming it. As far as medicinal reactions are concerned, there has never been a reaction reported between Spirulina and any other medication. However, growing Spirulina in waters that are heavy with toxins can result in these toxins being absorbed by the plant and then being put in your body when you consume them. For this reason it is best to avoid Spirulina that is being sold by anyone that you are not sure about.
This algae has a blue-green hue to it and has the taste and scent of marine water (such as you might smell at sea world). It can be combined easily with water or juice, however it is important to note that before adding it to things such as smoothies, it is best to blend with a small bit of water first and then add it. It can even be added to foods such as dips, sauces, soups, and casseroles. This product comes in vacuum sealed bags to maintain freshness, but in order to preserve the function and safety of the bag itself and make sure that nothing else is harmed in between it may be best to put these bags in an area that is free from light, heat and moisture just to make sure potency is preserved.
- I ended up buying this because I did my research and it had a lot of things I liked in it benefits wise. I got the 1 kilogram size so far I've seen improvement in breathing and my heart isn't beating as fast when I do basic things anymore, so all and all its a pretty good product.
On 12/15/2014 jay said...
- There's a brand of superfood that I buy that contains spirulina powder so I decided to try some from Bulk Supplements and add it to may green smoothies. It turned out to be pleasant tasting in the mix I made and boosted the nutritional content of my green smoothies. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to increase their nutrition intake.
On 12/5/2014 Michael said...
I have now found my sole source supplier for Spirulina going forward!
Spirulina is an awesome supplement but some of the name brands offer less product at a higher price, making it a costly addition to supplement my diet.. Bulk Supplements Spirulina is the same quality, just as fresh, and mixes same as name brand I used before.
On 10/13/2014 Tom G. said...
- I am satisfied with the value of the Spirulina I received. I will be ordering more through Bulksupplements.
On 9/21/2014 Christopher said...
- I have tried a lot of Spirulina. The shipment from bulk supplements tastes nice and fresh and rich. It is packaged nicely too.
On 9/17/2014 Andrew said...
- I love this, I did my research and found that this is an incredible superfood. It came fast and tastes good, mixes well. I use this in my afternoon juices, carrots apples etc. Keep it healthy everyone!
On 9/15/2014 martin said...
The powder was great in the smoothie! It didn't affect the flavor and I was amazed at the powerful green color. Can't wait to order more!
I received my order in a reasonable amount of time.
On 8/24/2014 jenea said...
- I have been using this for almost 2 weeks now and notice a significant difference in my energy level. Also, the taste is actually pretty good. I have been mixing it with berry juices.
On 7/29/2014 Kerry Gilliams said...
- This stuff really works well in building up my protein levels.
On 7/16/2014 Christopher said...
- Fast shipping is so important. I was amazed that I could feel the difference right away using this product. Usually hard to tell early on but this was noticeable. Did not have a problem with the taste. Mixed it with milk keifer.
On 6/3/2014 Margaret said...
- Very fine product. Yes, it's a powerful flavor, but, I mix it daily with my green smoothie and the taste is greatly modified. Fast delivery and reasonable prices will keep me coming back to BulkSupplements.
On 5/6/2014 Craig said...
Will recommend to others.
Great product and very fast shipping, a little difficult to mix but it's ground very fine so mixing difficulty is to be expected. Nice packaging and product is fresh.
On 4/23/2014 Mark said...
- I got it for my wife, she loves it. She started feeling better right away and even started losing weight.
On 4/17/2014 sonny said...
It's thick and green.
But I need to find a good way to mix it.
On 4/7/2014 Patricia said...
Bulk Supplements delivered reallllllly quick. (as i have heard is a strong point of theirs) great communicaiton and really nice review a product feature. I will be a returning coustomer and you will to once you sample some of there hundreds of options.
It does what you've already read. good for health and the like, the taste is not overpowering but still very aquatic (salt and planty) good stuff I ordered it with some Blue green algee since i read both are good for a number of areas. overall health, digestion, gi track, and the like. I will be capsuling them however. The taste (unless you are accoustomed to it, which i am not) is the only reason i'm given this 4 rather then 5 stars. and hopefully by putting it in capsules it wont be an issue for much longer.
On 4/5/2014 Kevin said...
- First of all, the I am extremely happy with Bulksupplements.com! I received an email confirmation and updates of the shipment tracking until the product reached my door. Perfect! Secondly, the product exceeded my expectations. It tastes fine (unlike stories I've read) and seems to be working great!! Much more energy and a sense of well being overall.
On 4/5/2014 Terri said...
- I bought the B-12, L Theanine, MSM, and the Tryptophan, and was given a free sample of the Spirulina. As with everything else I have tried from this company it is high quality. I use it in my smoothies in the mornings. It helps give me the energy to get started. I just can't say enough about Bulk Supplements..everything I have tried is pure, high quality, and affordable.
On 3/29/2014 Kelly said...
- Wow! Within a few hours of taking my first serving I could feel it 'hit'. It seems to be something I can really use. I notice a difference when I don't take it. I did not find any problem with the taste. Guess I have eaten too many strange "health" foods!
On 3/24/2014 Patricia said...
- Yes, the first thing is the taste, which you do sort of get used to. It's tolerable. It does mix fairly well, so that's a plus. I cannot honestly say I see a big difference in my health because of it, but I started out using only a half teaspoon and am now up to 1-1/2 teaspoons daily after 3 weeks. Maybe by the time I get to the recommended dose, which is one tablespoon, I will see a difference in my health.
On 3/17/2014 deborah said...
- This powder has an strong green color so don't freak out when you go to the stool. After couple of days of using it I started to get used to the taste and I can tell how my appetite has decreased a little and the muscles seem to be recovering faster after I started to use this product . (If it wasn't for the taste I would rate this product 5*)
On 3/7/2014 Juan said...
- Spirulina was recommended by 2 different people as a immune system supplement for my Percheron gelding's skin problems. After a month, it seems to be helping. We hope that the Spirulina, with garlic, will help get him through the buggy, Florida months to come. Will update review in another month.
On 3/3/2014 LAWRENCE said...
- Mixes great. One of the best for your body, but not your taste buds. Overall a great product, has a very good, dark, blue-green color.
On 1/14/2014 James E said...
- Received in a timely manner the Spirulina Powder kg in a secured foil package in excellent condition. It mixes well with water when using a blender.
On 12/29/2013 Michael said...
*NOTE: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.