You have no items in your shopping cart.
Milk Thistle Extract Powder
- Contains 80% Silymarin-Powerful Antioxidant
- For Liver Support Applications
- Treatment For Depression
Milk Thistle, or as it is sometimes referred to, Holy Thistle, belongs to the daisy family and has been used by the ancient Greeks and other civilizations for thousands of years. It should be noted that Milk Thistle is not the same thing as milkweed.
Milk Thistle is mainly made up of Flavonoid compounds including Isosilybin, Silibinin, Silybin, and Silymarin. The latter is the active ingredient in milk thistle and is the element that gives it its antioxidant and liver protecting properties.
Silymarin protects the liver by stopping the release of enzymes which are known to be toxic to the liver. In addition, it also has the ability to permanently alter the membrane surrounding a cell to prevent any outside chemicals or toxins from entering and infecting them. Milk Thistle contains beta hydrochloride which enhances the already strong protective elements of Milk Thistle. Silymarin also enhances protein synthesis in the liver and slows the oxidizing process of Glutathione.
Health Benefits Provided by Milk Thistle
Milk Thistle has very powerful antioxidant properties which even give the prominently recognized Vitamins E and C a run for their money. In fact Milk Thistle has even been studied for its ability to both support and protect the liver.
Milk Thistle has in the past been used as a treatment for liver poisoning that was caused by the consumption of poisonous mushroom caps. Charcoal which is the treatment that is typically used for these types of situations has been proven to not be as effective as Silymarin in such instances. This study was performed by several European organizations.
Serving Size & Timing
It is suggested that Milk Thistle be taken in serving sizes equal to 250mg per day depending on intended effect. A serving size of 1/32 teaspoon is about 83mg therefore 3/32 tap roughly equals 250mg altogether.
Supplement FactsServing size: 250 milligrams
Serving per container: *
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value**|
|Silybin 78 mg||*|
** Based on 2,000 calorie diet
Sugar, soy, dairy, yeast, gluten, corn and additives
As a dietary supplement, take 250 milligrams (3/32 tsp) a day, or as directed by a physician.
|US Standard Measuring Spoons|
INGREDIENTS & FURTHER INFORMATION
Milk Thistle Concentration
This Milk Thistle is considered pharmaceutical grade and contains nearly 80% Silymarin. There are no fillers of any kind present in this mixture.
Milk Thistle Side Effects
As long as suggested serving size is adhered to it is unlikely that any negative side effects will surface as a result of taking this supplement. However it is important to note that this product should be taken with meals, even though side effects do not generally result. Upon beginning the drug for the first time, some have reported issue with a little bit of upset stomach when just starting out. Decrease serving size until the feeling goes away if this happens to you.
- Our search for our regular Milk Thistle Extract is over! Very smoothly ground and mild flavor and works great for cleansing as well as for keeping the liver clean from and also potentiation of other herbs...
On 7/31/2014 Gregulus said...
- I take this for my liver. I have MS and have to have a liver panel done every 6 months because of the medications. I've been taking this by capsule for several years and so far except for fatty liver every thing else is ok. This is my first order from Bulk Supplements and my first time to take as a powder. I LOVE IT! Mix it in my oatmeal. This is the way to go!!
On 7/24/2014 Shirley said...
- The item arrived in just two days. It was packaged in a nice, thick, foil bag. The product itself is good quality and a consistent finely ground powder. It mixes well with liquids and other powders such as almond milk and cinnamon. I'm always impressed with Bulk Supplements' product and service quality.
On 5/7/2014 James said...
- Great product-have tried others love this one great price great service
On 5/4/2014 Michael said...
- I wanted to include milk thistle in my daily routine in order to increase levels/activity of glutathione and superoxide dimutase, one of the remedial steps I am taking post-cancer-treatment. I find this bulksupplements extract to be delightful in terms of taste and aroma. In the past I have swallowed milk thistle in capsules and sometimes opened the capsules. This stuff smells much nicer. It must be fresher than what I was buying before, judging by the more intense aroma. It can't be added to tea, because it just settles to the bottom of the cup in chalky lumps; this isn't a problem for me though, because I can eat it right off the spoon or mixed in glycerine--really delicious this way! Milk thistle isn't usually available without fillers, so I am glad that I found this one. It's also nice to use topically; I love that I don't have to deal with the usual gritty fillers like rice flour that other manufacturers mix into their milk thistle. Far cheaper to get it here too, which is great.
On 5/1/2014 Carolyn said...
Prior to this I have been using an encapsulated form of Milk Thistle which was mixed with the horrible, harmful magnesium stearate. And as with the capsules from most supplement companies, if you simply give them a squeeze you will see how little substance is actually in a capsule. When you buy supplements in powdered form, however, it is so much cheaper and you know you are not being shortchanged. And when the supplements are fresh and milled to the proper consistency as I’m finding BulkSupplements products are, powders are definitely the way to go.
I was delighted when I opened the package of Milk Thistle I just received from you. It has a nice, fresh smell and a fairly neutral, agreeable taste even when easily mixed with nothing more than water. This will now be my source for Milk Thistle, for which I have a real need to help keep my liver detoxified from the very toxic acetaminophen which is in my medicines - and from all the other toxic substances in my meds and in my food.
On 3/20/2014 ARTHUR said...
- Product arrived in a timely manner as described. Price was cheaper than most other places I looked into. Would definitely recommend.
On 3/18/2014 N said...
*NOTE: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.