You have no items in your shopping cart.
Calcium Ascorbate (Vitamin C) Powder
- Boosts immune system
- Neutral salt, not an acid
- May improve Calcium absorption
Calcium Ascorbate is Vitamin C (otherwise known as Ascorbic Acid) in a buffered condition. Vitamin C has a natural acidity, which can be a little too much to handle for those that have gastrointestinal issues. The Ascorbic Acid is reacted with Calcium in order to significantly reduce the acidity of the solution.
Health Benefits Provided By Calcium Ascorbate Buffered Vitamin C
Calcium Ascorbate Buffered Vitamin C combines the benefits of both compounds. The Ascorbic Acid actually facilitates the process of Calcium being absorbed into cells, increasing efficiency on both ends. Ascorbic Acid also assists in the absorption of iron and in providing the body with essential antioxidants to boost the performance of the immune system. This is done by neutralizing free radicals (molecules that damage healthy cells) and stopping harmful reactions in the body.
Vitamin C assists in producing collagen, which is a protein necessary for providing flexibility to all sorts of bodily structures like muscles, sinews and blood vessels. In accelerating the production of collagen, Vitamin C is an essential part of the body’s healing process. Vitamin C reduces the risk of dangerous clots in arteries and veins.
Aside from neutralizing free radicals, there are other ways that Vitamin C is important to sustaining a healthy immune system. It aids in the production of interferon, assists leukocytes to work more efficiently and helps maintain the integrity of the body’s various mucous membranes to ward off infection.
Serving Size & Timing
The suggested use of Calcium Ascorbate is a 300mg to 1000mg serving, to be taken up to three times per day, depending on intended effect. The FDA daily value for Vitamin C is about 60mg, meaning that a 1000mg serving would provide about 1370% of the recommended daily value. Taking higher amounts of Vitamin C becomes necessary when under any sort of environmental stresses or traumas, including sickness.
Supplement FactsServing size: 1000 milligrams
Serving per container: *
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value**|
|Vitamin C (from Calcium Ascorbate) 822mg||1370%|
|Calcium (from Calcium Ascorbate) 100mg||10%|
** Based on 2,000 calorie diet
Sugar, soy, dairy, yeast, corn, gluten and additives
As a dietary supplement, take 300mg (1/16 tsp) to 1000mg (scant 1/4 tsp) up to three times daily, or as directed by physician.
|US Standard Measuring Spoons|
INGREDIENTS & FURTHER INFORMATION
CONCENTRATION OF CALCIUM ASCORBATE
There are no fillers or additives included in this product, making it completely pure. The solution contains about 10% Calcium and 90% Vitamin C per individual molecule.
CALCIUM ASCORBATE SIDE EFFECTS
There are very few side effects reported from usage of Calcium Ascorbate, and it is nontoxic. Overuse could result in side effects that are common to overuse of most supplements that stimulate the gastrointestinal process. Taking any more than the recommended 2,000mg per day could result in stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, gastric problems, flatulence, diarrhea, etc. If these side effects do occur, they may be avoided by lowering the dosage.
Taking too much Ascorbic Acid at once could cause the body’s levels of Copper to be greatly reduced. This could pose a problem for anyone that has issues with Copper deficiency or an issue with the way Copper is stored in their body. Anyone that has problems with Copper or Iron storage should consult a medical professional before going on this supplement or any other that involves Ascorbic Acid. Pregnant women should be discouraged from going on this supplement without talking to a medical professional first, since it is possible that the excess levels of Vitamin C could cause the child to develop scurvy in utero. However, this type of condition is rare and is usually only witnessed in women who consume around three times the maximum daily dosage, or around 6,000mg per day.
Calcium Ascorbate possesses a pH that is neutral, making it easy in terms of bodily absorption. It is easily mixed into water or juice and can also be included with food. Drink immediately after stirring in or eat immediately after mixture.
In a national survey, it was found that about 5 to 7% of American adults are Vitamin C deficient. Those who were especially at risk included groups such as black males, smokers and people who did not use Vitamin C supplements. The minimum daily value as determined by the FDA seems to be enough to prevent one from being labeled deficient, but it is not known whether this is enough Vitamin C to maintain general health levels.
The following is a list of clinical trials testing the many diverse benefits (and detriments) of supplemental calcium from the National Medical Library MEDLINE as abstracted by GreenMedInfo:
1. Calcium ameliorates exercise-induced reduction in testosterone levels, which may be useful for increasing overall athletic performance.
2. Calcium content in vegetables is correlated with bitterness.
3. Calcium supplementation may actually increase the risk of bone fracture.
4. Due to the high hair calcium and magnesium levels in patients with Fibromyalgia supplementation with calcium and magnesium may be beneficial.
5. Esophageal cancer is associated with high dietary calcium in a vegetarian population and a low level of zinc.
6. High dietary intake of seaweed, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus may be associated with a decreased prevalence of allergic rhinitis [allergies].
7. Maternal calcium supplementation during pregnancy reduces dental caries of children at 12 years of age.
8. Mineral water rich in calcium, magnesium and bicarbonate improves urine composition and reduces the risk of calcium oxalate formation.
9. Taking calcium supplements without food/at bedtime may increase the risk of calcium oxalate nephrolithiasis.
10. Vitamin D and calcium supplementation may improve symptoms in chronic periodontitis.
11. Calcium, Vitamin D and a Gluten-Free diet decreased bone pain and improved muscle strength.
12. A drug named "Medetopect" consisting of apple pectins, vitamin C and calcium phosphate reduces absorption of Plutonium-239 and Americium-241 from the gastrointestinal tract of animals.
13. A Western-style diet produces hyperproliferation of epithelial cells in several organs and that the changes can be prevented by increasing dietary calcium and vitamin D alone.
14. Calcium and vitamin D may prevent Western-style diet-induced colonic tumors.
15. Ca2+, Mg2+, Zn, and Se have an important role in congestive heart failure.
16. Calcium may contribute to atherosclerosis and magnesium prevent it.
17. Calcium, vitamin D, vitamin A may have a therapeutic role in diseases such as rosacea and psoriasis by influencing the innate antibiotic and immunomodulator cathelicidin.
18. Individuals with untreated celiac disease may have reduced bone mineral density associated with deficiencies of nutrients.
19. Review of essential nutrients for bone health and their availability in the average North American diet: [Vitamin D3, vitamin K2, vitamin C, magnesium, exercise, boron, calcium, silicon, zinc, manganese, and copper.]
20. Calcium supplementation suppresses bone formation in Mg-deficient rats.
21. Food and not supplemental calcium increases nutrient levels.
22. Higher calcium and vitamin D intake influences bone mass by creating greater density but does not create greater strength as indicated by no reduction in the 3-year risk of fracture.
23. Higher calcium intake correlates with increases in osteoporotic fracture risk.
24. Higher consumption of milk or other food sources of calcium by adult women does not protect against hip or forearm fracture.
On 1/5/2015 Stephen said...
I had a minor mistake in my order. The order was fixed after contacting cust svc. I like this company, they have good products at good prices. Items arrive promptly and the quality is good.
I will continue to order from them as they are responsive.
On 9/29/2014 howard said...
*NOTE: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.