You have no items in your shopping cart.
Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) Powder
Alpha-Lipoic Acid, sometimes referred to as ALA, is a powerful antioxidant that is naturally produced by the human body.
ALA also assists in recycling various other antioxidants and may contribute to increased energy levels.
Serving Size & Timing
It is recommended that ALA be taken at a dose of 600 mg (rounded 1/4 tsp) one to two times a day, depending on the intended effect. These servings should be taken without food. It is best not to take too much at once, as this might cause imbalanced levels of ALA.
Supplement FactsServing size: 600 milligrams
Serving per container: *
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value**|
|Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA)... 600mg||*|
** Based on 2,000 calorie diet
Sugar, soy, dairy, yeast, gluten, corn and additives.
As a dietary supplement, take 600 mg one to two times daily, or as directed by a physician.
|US Standard Measuring Spoons|
INGREDIENTS & FURTHER INFORMATION
CONCENTRATION OF ALA
This pharmaceutical grade of ALA has no extra additives in it of any kind and is vegan and vegetarian friendly. ALA will remain stable provided that certain storage conditions are met. Keep in a tightly sealed container and away from direct sunlight and hot temperatures. Store between 25° and 30°C .
Note: Bulksupplements is not responsible for any clumping or discoloration that may occur if this product is not properly stored. Do not leave packages in the heat.
ALA SIDE EFFECTS
Due to the natural acidity of the powder, supplementation of ALA or R-ALA may cause some acid reflux or mild discomfort. This symptom can be eased by taking this product with food, dairy or in capsules.
There are few side effects associated with use of ALA. However, diabetics should consult their physician before use, as this supplement has the potential to lower blood sugar. ALA can also interfere with medications used to treat under- and over-active thyroid conditions. Women who are pregnant or nursing should not take this product, and those who drink excessive amounts of alcohol are encouraged to supplement Thiamine in tandem with ALA, as there may be a shortage.
While ALA is fat soluble on its own, because of the unpleasant taste associated with it, it is best to take it in capsule form or mixed into a shake or juice with an appropriate concentration of ALA and ALCAR combined.
Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALCAR) is another form of antioxidant that is naturally produced by the body. In conjunction with ALA, it is known to help to speed up brain functions and heighten mental acuity. For this reason, they are usually found to be blended together in products. ALCAR and ALA together can help speed up the transfer of glucose to muscle greatly, and this blend can also help to increase the utilization of fatty acids and energy production at a cellular level.
I got the ALA as a free sample in return for a review. I have been very happy with almost all the products I have ever received from BulkSupplements, but the bag that the ALA sample was in was not properly sealed and therefore the contents were exposed to the air. I don't know how much this has actually affected the viability of the product, but all antioxidants must be protected from the air (oxygen) to maintain potency. I have to say I was a bit disappointed, even though it was free. *
On 1/26/2017 Curtis said...
I started taking ALA and have seen a remarkable in improvement in my neuropathy..
It has cut my calf and foot pain by 50%.
I found out about ALA myself reading the web.
I wonder why my Doctor never told me about this?
They just give me drugs that have major side effects.
On 1/19/2017 Doug said...
This is a great product. Bulk Supplements is the best!!!!*
On 11/21/2016 Rick said...
Just received my ALA a few days ago and noticed more energy on the first day! Looking forward to trying it with ALCAR. It is easy to take with juice and a simple measuring spoon. No weighing. Thank you, Bulk Supplements for providing a quality product.*
On 11/21/2016 Teresa said...
Got my order extremely fast, and I live in Hawaii. I've noticed that taking this product helped alot with my energy level throughout the day. I no longer feel the need to want to take a nap after lunch. In the gym, i have more energy and better pumps. Will definitely be purchasing again.*
On 10/28/2016 Robert said...
ALA-noticed more stamina after first day, seem to be more alert. I used to take this, glad to find this company. I'll be able to mix some others and not have to swallow capsules. I plan to take with "C" and few others*
On 10/20/2016 Phyllis said...
Product came on time well packaged. I have added it to my face cream so far so good. I am happy to use food grade product on my skin safest thing one can do thanks a million *
On 10/1/2016 Momo said...
I have ordered ALA for mercury chelation purposes. Just received this product few days ago, therefore it is too soon to say if it works for me since I'm still trying to adjust the correct dosage for my purposes. Customer service was great, it shipped fast and has a shelf life until 2017, so far no caking. *
On 9/14/2016 Julio said...
I use ALA in my post workout shake and the product from Bulk Sups is great quality. Stack it with glutamine and BCAAs for even better results from your post workout!*
On 9/12/2016 Jeremiah said...
A brief review of ALA:BENEFITS OF LIPOIC ACID
Based on evidence from animal and human studies, lipoic acid offers the following essential health benefits:
Reduces oxidative stress in the body via powerful antioxidant activity1,3-5
Improves several components of the metabolic syndrome—a combination of risk factors that increases one’s risk for diabetes6
Reduces blood pressure
Reduces insulin resistance
Improves the lipid profile
Increases insulin sensitivity8
Improves diabetic neuropathy9,10
Protects against cataract formation11
Improves visual function in glaucoma12
Helps prevents retinal cell death when combined with vitamin E in retinitis pigmentosa13
Reduces brain damage after a stroke15
Prevents bone loss, possibly through an anti-inflammatory effect19-21
Removes toxic metals from the body22,23
Reduces frequency and intensity of migraines24
Improves skin texture25
Thanks again Bulk Supplements.
On 9/6/2016 Selena said...
I recently received my 500 gram bag of Alpha Lipoic Acid. It arrived in a light-proof, air-tight container, which is VERY important because ALA is extremely sensitive to light. I am using it as part of an anti-cancer regimen, as per published NIH studies found online at their website. It has been found to be extremely effective as an anti-cancer regimen when combined with low-dose Naltrexone, which is the protocol we are currently using, as per the NIH Study. I am happy to report that in just 10 days, the cancer appears to be stagnant and is not showing signs of advancing. The tumor is visible to the naked eye, as it is located in my right, frontal nasal sinus near my septum. I am employing the expertise of a local holistic orthomolecular oncologist. He is also pleased with the results we've obtained thus far! I intend to continue therapy for at last 90 days of daily IV infusions of 600 Mgs. of ALA, plus a 5 mg. nightly dose of Naltrexone orally.
I was elated to find that bulksupplements.com also carries R-ALA, which is the preferred form of ALA for IV infusion. I intend to order that and begin using it the moment it arrives. I will continue to use the regular ALA orally.
Keep up the good work, bulksupplements.com! Your professionalism is greatly appreciated!
On 8/26/2016 Bradley J said...
I feel this is helping my brain. I would buy again.*
On 8/24/2016 Andy said...
Great product and great price as well
about the Alpha Lipoic Acid just what I was expecting
high quality *
On 8/1/2016 Eddie Fernandez said...
While at first I was skeptical about racemic ALA, like this (as opposed to R-ALA), after pretty thorough research I've concluded that the isomer that is not biologically active is very unlikely to do any harm. Mixed ALA is so much less expensive than R-ALA, I figure it will do more good to use something I can justify using on a regular basis.
While ALA does good things, the effects are subtle. The taste is spicy. If put directly in your mouth it will melt onto the skin, feeling like a chemical burn while it gradually peels away. It feels like the skin peeling, but don't worry. I use mine in a whole-milk Greek yogurt based shake with fresh or frozen fruit, whey protein concentrate, ALCAR, and some other odds and ends. All the research points towards ALA being synergistic with ALCAR.
While capsules have a certain charm, as far as ALA is concerned, I couldn't find a better price for the stuff anywhere else.
I agree with another reviewer; "refrigerate on arrival" should be much more prominent on the label.
All in all, another quality product and value from BulkSupplements. *
On 8/1/2016 Mark said...
This is my second order from bulk supplements and I am very happy. Get great pricing and very fast delivery on products ordered. Product is fab quality with no additives. This ALA I ordered mixes easily into the smoothie/shakes I make with my supplements. Will definitely order from here again!*
On 7/20/2016 Vanessa said...
I use this power for a pre and post exercise drink and I love that I can count on 100% purity with no fillers. Bulk supplements provides a great product in a perfectly resealable package so that I can store my ALA. I will continue to use this product for the foreseeable future. The benefits of ALA supplementation have been proven by excellent scientific studies.*
On 7/6/2016 Mark R said...
This is first time I am ordering .good I found about it. I am using is it I feel good.it really helps my insulin resistance.i am using 1000 mg twice a day.thanks for the quality.*
On 6/9/2016 Latha said...
I haven't been using the supplement long enough to gauge its efficacy, but the ALA powder seems to be of high quality. It mixes relatively easily with water, though it does have quite an acidic bite to it. *
On 5/13/2016 Jennifer said...
This product is very fine,doing what it should.It was shipped fast.*
On 3/22/2016 Debra said...
I give five stars for ALA*
On 3/8/2016 Maria said...
This is what I learned about ALA: Alpha Lipoic Acid is a vital, proven antioxidant supplement for anyone over 40,or anyone with blood sugar condition of any kind. This helps cure diabetes and blood sugar disorders, along with diet and exercise. This is my experience : After 10 days of using 1.000mg ALA 2 times a day my insulin sensitivity was improved 49%. This is fantastic result. No other supplement did help me like this plain, regular lipoic acid from Bulk Supplement. Tastes a little spicy,disolves with lukewarm water,and after drinking it I can feel immediately how it wonderfully works for my body.Very high quality ALA.*
On 3/8/2016 Maria said...
I have noticed the overall appearance of my skin has improved,
Alpha-Lipoic Acid's most prominent benefit is its ability to work with mitochondria in the blood stream to reduce oxidation by increasing the level of antioxidant enzymes in the body. This allows ALA to fight the aging process by reducing oxidative damage in neuronal cells. ALA is also an excellent anti-inflammatory agent.
Very pleased with this product.
On 2/22/2016 Jade said...
I have only had the product for a few days so I can not comment on its effectiveness at lowering blood sugar levels or as an antioxidant, but the product itself is a pure powder that is very slightly moist. There were a few clumps in the bag, but I was able to crumble them to fill my capsules without any difficulty. I was surprised at the label advice to keep it refrigerated, but did appreciate the information. *
On 2/12/2016 Jacqueline said...
The following is a list of clinical trials, most double-blinded and placebo-controlled, recorded at the National Medical Library, MEDLINE, as abstracted by GreenMedInfo for alpha lipoic acid:
1. A triple antioxidant approach [Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Milk Thistle, Selenium] to the treatment of hepatitis C may be superior to traditional interferon and antiviral drug therapy.
2. A multi antioxidative treatment [Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Glutathione, Licorice, Milk Thistle, Schisandra, Vitamin C, Vitamin E] in chronic hepatitis C virus patients is well tolerated and therapeutic.
3. A multi-nutrient mixture of marine proteins, alpha-lipoic acid, pine bark extract, vitamins and minerals is safe and efficacious in the treatment of aging symptoms of the skin in women.
4. A nutrient combination [Acetyl-l-carnitine, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Fish Oil, Ginkgo biloba, Huperzine, Multivitamin, NAC (N-acetyl-L-cysteine), Vinpocetine] improves cognitive function in head-injured former NFL players.
5. A topical cream containing 5% alpha-lipoic acid improves clinical symptoms of photoaging of facial skin.
6. Alpha Lipoic Acid confers pain relief in patients with Peripheral Arterial Disease.
7. Alpha lipoic acid has a curative effect on peripheral neuropathy in type 2 diabetes.
8. Alpha Lipoic Acid has therapeutic benefits in the treatment of diabetic neuropathy.
9. Alpha lipoic acid is an anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective treatment for Alzheimer's disease.
10. Alpha lipoic acid may provide an effective adjuvant in the treatment of metastatic and nonmetastatic pancreatic cancer.
11. Alpha lipoic acid prevents mitochondrial damage and neurotoxicity in experimental chemotherapy neuropathy.
12. Alpha lipoic appears to be an effective neuroprotective agent in Alzheimer's disease.
13. Alpha lipoic has significant therapeutic value in the treatment of diabetic neuropathy.
14. Alpha lipoic may have a profound therapeutic role in the treatment of pancreatic cancer.
15. Alpha-Lipoic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine appear to improve vascular function and blood pressure in patients with coronary artery disease.
16. Alpha-lipoic acid and gamma-linolenic acid significantly improved symptom scores and functional impairment in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome.
17. Alpha-lipoic acid may be a clinically useful therapy in interstitial cystitis.
18. Alpha-lipoic acid may have therapeutic benefits for burning mouth syndrome.
19. Alpha-lipoic acid, linoleic acid and echinacea proved to be an effective treatment for improving the evolution of carpal tunnel syndrome.
20. Benfotiamine and alpha-lipoic acid normalises complication-causing pathways in type 1 diabetes.
21. Controlled-release alpha lipoic acid has a therapeutic effect in lean, nondiabetic patients with polycystic ovary syndrome.
22. Homocysteine-lowering therapy may prevent bone loss in Parkinson's disease patients taking levodopa.
23. Lipoic acid combined with aerobic exercise inhibits lipid peroxidation in skeletal muscles.
24. Lipoic acid down-regulates inflammation in multiple sclerosis patients.
25. Lipoic acid improves diabetic neuropathy.
26. Lipoic acid may be beneficial in preventing migraines.
27. Lipoic acid may have therapeutic value in treating smell dysfunction following viral infection of the upper respiratory.
28. Oral treatment with alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) and gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) for six weeks in synergy with rehabilitation therapy improved neuropathic symptoms and deficits in patients with radicular neuropathy.
29. Thioctic (syn. Lipoic acid) and Acetyl-L-carnitine reduce sciatic pain caused by a herniated disc.
30. Treatment with alpha-lipoic acid reduces asymmetric dimethylarginine, a predictor of cardiovascular events, in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
31. '-Tocopherol supplementation of the diets of children with down syndrome may attenuate the oxidative stress at the DNA level.
32. "Lipoic acid mitigates bisphenol A-induced testicular mitochondrial toxicity in rats."
33. A combination of gamma linolenic acid and alpha lipoic acid is effective against multiple indices of experimental diabetic neuropathy.
34. A combination of mitochondrial targeting nutrients [Acetyl-l-carnitine, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Biotin, Niacin] may improve skeletal mitochondrial dysfunction and exert hypoglycemic effects, without causing weight gain.
35. A combination of nutrients [Alpha-Lipoic Acid, B-complex, Curcumin, EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate), Folic Acid, NAC (N-acetyl-L-cysteine), Piperine, Vitamin C] improves cognitive functioning while decreasing Alzheimer disease neuropathology in an animal model.
36. A combination of vitamin E, vitamin C, alpha-lipoic acid and stilbene resveratrol ameliorates lindane insecticide induced toxicity in mice.
37. Acetyl-L-carnitine and lipoic acid decrease age-related oxidative insult in the mitochondria of the rat heart.
38. Acetyl-l-carnitine and R-alpha-lipoic acid partially reverses brain decay and RNA/DNA oxidation associated with memory loss in rats.
39. Alpha lipoic acid attenuates bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis in mice.
40. Alpha lipoic acid attenuates cisplatin-induced acute kidney injury in mice by suppressing renal inflammation.
41. Alpha lipoic acid counteracts alcohol induced mucosal injury.
42. Alpha lipoic acid improves the treatment outcome for opiate withdrawal in rats.
43. Alpha lipoic acid protects against acetaminophen-induced liver and kidney damage.
44. Alpha lipoic may have potential clinical applications for the treatment or prevention of hypertriglyceridemia and diabetic dyslipidemia.
45. Alpha lipoic may inhibit the development and progression of fatty liver.
46. Alpha-lipoic acid and vitamin E inhibit lindane-induced toxicity in the mouse brain.
47. Alpha-lipoic acid has therapeutic value in an experimental model of mesangial proliferative glomerulonephritis.
48. Alpha-lipoic acid reduced uric acid levels, oxidative stress, and corrected vascular responses induced by consumption of HFCS.
49. Alpha-lipoic acid exerts a protective effect against hearing loss in acoustic trauma through its antioxidant effects.
50. Acetyl-l-carnitine, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Gamma-Linoleic Acid (GLA), Vitamin E have a protective effect against nerve and vascular dysfunction in experimental diabetes.
51. Coenzyme Q10 and '-lipoic acid have therapeutic properties in fructose fed rats.
52. Curcumin, silybin phytosome® and '-R-lipoic acid may confer therapeutic efficacy against chronic hepatitis.
53. Dietary antioxidants have a protective effect on proton total-body irradiation-mediated hematopoietic cell and animal survival.
54. Dl-alpha-lipoic acid protects against mercury-induced neurotoxicity.
55. EPA and lipoic acid reduce kidney and aortic ectopic calcification in rats.
56. Lipoic acid attenuates hypertension and improves insulin sensitivity in high fructose-fed rats.
57. Lipoic acid has a prophylactic action against the development of ascites in broiler chicks.
58. Lipoic acid helped to restore normal circadian rhythms in aging animals.
59. Lipoic acid may have therapeutic value for obesity in postmenopausal women.
60. Lipoic acid prevents early-onset hearing impairment in mice.
61. Lipoic acid protects against the brain-damaging effects of pesticides in the rat brain.
62. Lipoic acid significantly improves survival time in a transgenic mouse model of ALS.
63. Pesticide-induced decrease in rat testicular steroidogenesis is differentially prevented by lipoate and tocopherol.
64. R-alpha-lipoic-acid is more effective than S-alpha-lipoic acid in improving glucose metabolism in insulin-resistant skeletal muscle.
65. R-lipoic acid and acetyl-l-carnitine ameliorate age-associated oxidative damage to the brain, in a rat experimental model.
66. Supplementation with alpha lipoic acid and garlic aqueous extracts improved the alterations brought on by organophosphorus pesticides.
67. Vitamin E, acetyl-l-carnitine and '-lipoic acid are superior to the drug donepezil (Aricept) at normalizing biomarkers associated with Alzheimer's disease in an animal model.
68. Vitamin E, vitamin C, resveratrol, and alpha-lipoic acid have a protective effect against insecticide-induced toxicity in mice.
69. "Sickle cell anemia: a potential nutritional approach for a molecular disease."
70. A number of natural substances have therapeutic value in the partial prevention of cardiac remodeling and atrial fibrillation.
71. A-lipoic acid may have a beneficial role in protecting against oxidation of LDL associated with cardiovascular disease.
72. Alpha lipoic acid and niacinamide therapy may have value in the treatment of schizophrenia.
73. Alpha lipoic acid and vitamin C prevent LDL oxidation and oxidant stress in endothelial cells.
74. Alpha lipoic acid exerts a rejuvenative impact on mitochondria in various tissue.
75. Alpha lipoic acid has neuroprotective properties in an experimental model of Parkinsonism.
76. Alpha lipoic acid has therapeutic value in the treatment of diabetic neuropathy.
77. Alpha-lipoic acid increases cardiac glucose oxidation indicating it may have beneficial effects in diabetic patients.
78. Alpha-Lipoic acid inhibits inflammatory bone resorption.
79. Antioxidant therapies for traumatic brain injury.
80. Elimination of 'dietary triggers' and the inclusion of a number of natural substances may prevent migraines.
81. Lipoic acid has a protective and stabilizing effect on the development of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis, indicating its value for the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
82. Lipoic acid improves diabetic cardiac autonomic neuropathy.
83. Lipoic acid, particularly the R-enantiomer form (R-alpha-lipoic-acid) exhibits therapeutic copper-chelating and antioxidant properties.
84. Nutritional interventions may be therapeutic in the treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
85. Over the counter anti-oxidants EGCG and ALA showed the most consistent benefit for MS in preclinical studies.
86. Resveratrol, EGCG, berberine and alpha-lipoic acid may have a beneficial effect on bone health through negatively regulating RANKL.
87. Sulforaphane and alpha-lipoic acid upregulate the expression of the phase 2 liver detoxification enzyme glutathione S-transferase.
88. Review will provide an overview of the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-amyloidogenic, neuroprotective, and cognition-enhancing effects of nutraceuticals [Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Apigenin, Curcumin, DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid), EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate), Resveratrol].
89. Vitamin C, resveratrol and lipoic acid have an antioxidant activity in rat liver mitochondria.*
On 12/7/2015 Stephen said...
I looked everywhere to find something as pure- and finally found it here!
great product, great company, fast shipping, what can i say more.
On 9/1/2015 ZAINAB said...
*NOTE: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
**DISCLAIMER: There is no guarantee of specific results and results can vary.